Saturday, August 9, 2008

Behind the Scenes: Dance of the Robbers

Almost immediately after our collaboration, Mr. Fitzgerald had suggested another in which we would create one of those ingenious double videos that he presents so hilariously on his blog. I had a hard time taping anything that I felt was worthy of this project and it sort of fizzled out. He contacted me again a few weeks later and proposed a film with mischievous robbers inhabiting a forest! I knew I could do that!



Let me begin by saying that this film was a great challenge! I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with the weather. The clips where each robber appeared consecutively in the same environment required me to change into the next costume as fast as humanly possible. Lighting fluctuations created by constantly moving clouds would ruin the effect if there was too much difference. I got quite a workout.

Another thing that made this difficult was figuring out how to keep it relatively interesting. I tried to give each character a unique personality and mannerisms so it wouldn't feel like you were just watching me do the same thing over and over in different costumes.

Black Mask (Classic)

He's the original robber and therefor the veteran of the group. He made his debut in 1999 when my friends and I produced our second film.

White Mask (The Ghastly Snatcher)

A kleptomaniac, this shy robber likes to hide things in his massive coat while sneaking around in a ghostly white mask.

Striped Mask (Noodles)

He's the slipperiest of the bunch. Not the smartest, though.

Green Mask (The Mugger)

He's the "tough" one. He's alert and fast on his feet.

Red Mask (The Crimson Crook)

The red guy doesn't take anything very seriously. He sticks out like a sore thumb.

Their Prey

This guy doesn't have a name. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time.


I would normally scribble up a storyboard for something like this because it's not easy to keep track of who is doing what. I didn't, though. I just taped things as I thought of them and hoped it would work.


There are two instances in which multiple characters appear in the same shot. To create this illusion, I filmed myself in each costume separately and then combined the footage using Adobe After Effects. The results were not very convincing because the sun kept hiding behind clouds. There's a blatantly visible seam between sunlight and shadow! I tried!

The film took four days to complete because the weather was so unforgiving! I think the fun outweighed the frustration, though, and I thank Uncle Eddie for his support and encouragement!

5 comments:

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

You did a really great job on that film! My hat's off to a guy I consider one of the funniest filmmakers working today!

Mijfly said...

Thank you so much for the support and encouragement! It's an incredible feeling when one of your heroes notices what you do and enjoys it!

kellie said...

That was brilliant stuff from both of ye.

The effects work fooled me fine, Jim. I'd thought you must've drafted some stand-ins for those shots.

dodgyrommer said...

Jim! Can I add you as a friend here? I really have no idea what I'm doing! Well thanks for the comment, and your filmmaking talents astound me. You're a natural!

-Lishka

Mijfly said...

Thank you, kellie!

Thank you too, Lishka! Did and done!