Sunday, June 22, 2008

Behind the Scenes: The Robber's Escape

I made this film on May 25, 2006. It was pretty complicated because I played all of the characters in it. I scribbled a simple storyboard before shooting, which helped immensely! I pretty much shot it exactly as I planned it. Click to enlarge!


There is a part towards the end where I wanted to try to do a cartoony surprise take with my sleeves and pant legs rolling up by themselves. (The picture 5 rows up from the bottom with the Robber flanked by exclamation points) I actually did it, but it looked awkward so I didn't include it in the finished film. I reversed the footage as I let them drop from the rolled up position. Unfortunately, they wouldn't drop fast enough because I was so sweaty! Instead of shooting up my arms and legs, they just kind of sporadically inched up as if I was being molested by something invisible.

Anyway, here's the actual film:



5 comments:

lastangelman said...

XCLNT!
Hope your hobby blossoms into a promising career. The ballyclava is inspired - thanks to YouTube, you may eventually be the next worldwide silent screen star - WALL-E can eat your pixels.

kellie said...

Your stuff is great Jim. I put a short post about your collaboration with Uncle Eddie here.

Mijfly said...

lastangelman: Wow, thank you! I saw your question on Eddie's blog about timing the actions to the music.. It's just luck, really! It's done after the filming. Something about the sped-up footage just seems to automatically make it fit.
Oh, and I don't know what it may have sounded like, but I said "whoops" at the end of that commentary thing!

kellie: Thank you so much! I'll check it out!

Trevor Thompson said...

Hey Jim!

Thanks to Eddie, I'm a huge fan! Great work. As a filmmaker myself, I'm curious... what equipment do you use to shoot / edit with and how do you capture your video?

I have the fortune / misfortune of being a mac user, and there's not a lot of inexpensive options for video capturing these days, so I was, like I said, curious. I have a big expensive camera and the firewire port is busted, so that's why I ask.

Anyway, keep the movies coming, mate!

- trevor.

Mijfly said...

Thank you Trevor!

I work with a basic Canon camcorder! It's an Elura65 and it records on those mini DV tapes!

I have a Mac too, and I use primarily iMovie to edit the stuff. It's very user-friendly!

Sorry about your firewire port!